Your Mother's Blog

Yes, I am old enough to be your mother. Some of you. So just stop a minute and listen to someone who HAS been there and done that. Whatever it is. Trust me.

Friday, August 18, 2006

The Reckoning

Once upon a time a friend declared it a "Year of Reckoning". Up until then her life had followed that same aimless road many of us travel: good times, bad jobs, good friends, bad choices. Finally, the day came when she decided hey! I'm in charge here. Her first order of business was to reckon with all those adult responsibilities that had somehow slipped away.

This was more than the perennial, sure-to-fail resolution. This was an entire year of retaliation on the forces of failure. Most of her reckoning focused on financial and personal care goals: paying off credit cards, getting a new computer, having her first mammogram, resolving an old relationship. She set her goals then proceeded to stride through the calender, ticking things off her list with the satisfaction of the just. And I, the master of task avoidance, stood back in awe.

She accomplished all her goals then moved out of state (also on her list) while my life continued to spin around in circles. Periodically I would remind myself, I need a Year of Reckoning. But I remained mired in the swamp of just-barely-keeping-up. It wasn't until I was pushed to the brink on every front, when I had nowhere to stand but turn and face the enemy, that I tentatively brandished my sword of accomplishment. I dealt with some health things, I took charge of some financial things. I ended a relationship, rebuilt another.

I thought about who I want to be,
where I want to go,
what I need to conquer to get there.

I learned to say no.

While I lack the attention span to march purposefully through an entire year, each time I tackle one of those overdue duties I give myself credit for the Reckoning.

It makes me feel strong. In control.

I've learned that Reckoning is never over. New things crop up. But each success generates a little more ammunition for next time. Most of the time now I think of myself as someone who can Reckon with life.

3 Comments:

At 8/25/2006 7:16 PM , Blogger BabelBabe said...

I needed this post. THANK YOU.

 
At 8/30/2006 8:54 AM , Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Oh I like that. Somenoe who can Reckon with life. Yes, I am slowly learning and becoming...

I have a quote by my bathroom mirror by either DaVinci or Michalangelo (I get them mixed up) that says "I'm still learning." I figure if one of the greats can say that, it's okay for me to say it too.

 
At 9/26/2006 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thought-provoking! As they say in Al-Anon, there are no victims, only volunteers! Most of the time, though, when I'm feeling sorry for myself I shove that saying into the back of my mind and figure it doesn't apply in my unique situation. I never want to look at how decisions I made (even decisions to do nothing) put me in a position to be hurt.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home