Your Mother's Blog

Yes, I am old enough to be your mother. Some of you. So just stop a minute and listen to someone who HAS been there and done that. Whatever it is. Trust me.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Learning to Play Nice with Others at the Dinner Table

Leland mentioned former NYT food critic Ruth Reichl recently and that reference sent me to reading an interview with her by Psychology Today. One of the topics the interview touched on was family meals. Reichl posited that today's decline of family dinnertime will produce children who grow into poorly socialized adults.

When I was growing up dinner was always a family meal. The food may have been plain at our house but even the simplest dinner was a highly ritualized affair that assumed it would be carried out properly; according to "best practices" as we like to say in my line of work. Being a kid was not an excuse to take shortcuts. As soon as we were tall enough to reach the cutlery drawer, we were instructed in the proper way to set a table, use utensils, pass and serve food and clear the table.

There is no doubt that family dinner was a major forum for developing important social skills.

  • We learned basic etiquette: no elbows, close your mouth when you chew, swallow your food before you take a drink, use your napkin.
  • We learned how to plan, which ranged from clearing homework off the table in enough time to set it for the meal to anticipating which condiments would be needed.
  • We learned coordination. Since there were so many of us, orchestrating ourselves around the table to accommodate left-handed eaters was critical. No one wanted a collision with a flying left elbow.
  • We learned consideration by watching out for the littlest ones and making sure they had someone alongside to assist with meat cutting or spaghetti twirling.
  • We learned to take turns while the serving platters made their slow progress around the big wooden table. (Unless the entree was liver. Ugh!)
  • We learned tolerance. Since our family had a mandatory no-thank-you helping rule, we had to eat at least a tablespoon of everything no matter what it looked like.
  • We learned patience because no one was excused until everyone was finished.

Dinner conversation covered a lot of ground, as expected with so many people and interests. Announcements from school, upcoming plans, acknowledging achievements; sometimes Dad would offer up a riddle or drill us on our knowledge of the city. There was always plenty to say. But our very favorite conversations were the stories. Something - maybe a menu item, maybe a news item - would usually trigger the reminiscence and we would linger, entranced, listening to stories of when our parents were young.

Body and soul nurtured at the same meal.

By the time we hit our teens, the dinner schedule was more difficult to maintain and sometimes the group around the table numbered as few as three, but the rituals never changed. Even into my 30's, reconnecting with my roots was as simple as slipping back into my place at the dinner table . Conversations may have taken an irreverent turn, but the Emily Post habits remained solid.

Several years ago I was at an associate's home working on a project. As we started to wrap up our books and papers for the day, her husband invited me to stay for dinner. I accepted. One of their college-age sons was also present for the meal. I knew these people to be somewhat sophisticated about food and eating out. But I was nothing less than shaken by the scene around their dining table. It was a blur of flashing forks and grabbing hands. People stabbed salad directly from the serving bowl and brutally tore off hunks of bread. As they raced each other to the meal's conclusion I wondered why they even bothered to eat as a group.

I don't think they were a happy family.

And so, Ms. Reichl, as evidenced by my own experience, the family that eats together better have good manners if they're going to stay together.
y'think?

5 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 10:23 AM , Blogger BabelBabe said...

We are HUGE believers in the family mealtime. Our boys are expected to sit with us, and eat nicely, and be polite. Never too young to start - Seg is three.

I think the demise of the family dinner is at the root of many of society's ills. But then I am an old fogey at 36.

 
At 8/14/2006 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with your post; I was raised the same as you and learned the same things. When I compare my table manners with my husband's, who through no fault of his own because he wasn't taught any better, doesn't even know not to put a dirty fork right on the tablecloth, I sometimes think the most important lesson I can teach my own children is how to conduct themselves at the table without embarrassing themselves. It's something they will need to know in business situations, not to mention those meals with prospective in-laws.

 
At 8/14/2006 8:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that my mom commented on this post! I thank my lucky stars every time I eat in someone's home that we had such strong traditions at the dinner table when I was growing up. The kids were expected to set and clear the table and take care of drinks. We may have been whiney and occasionally ungrateful, but we always said grace and we always asked to be excused. Elbows on the table were a definite no-no. Very nice post.

 
At 8/16/2006 7:39 PM , Blogger Suse said...

I completely agree. Every night we light a candle, say a brief blessing, and eat together. We talk about our day, catch up on messages and news, and so on. And the boys are learning to eat nicely, use cutlery properlyy, and wait for others to finish.

My husband had appalling table manners when we met because he came from a huge family where they didn't eat together or place any emphasis on eating as a civilised communal activity. I swore our boys would learn young!

 
At 8/26/2006 3:17 AM , Blogger lazy cow said...

We eat together at least once a week - my husband just cannot do the 5.30-6pm dinnertime very often! On Sundays I insist on a roast dinner and nice manners. The rest of the time I try and keep everyone's elbows off the table, and get the kids to talk one at a time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home