Your Mother's Blog

Yes, I am old enough to be your mother. Some of you. So just stop a minute and listen to someone who HAS been there and done that. Whatever it is. Trust me.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

"...if they were us they would be depressed"

I worked for several years in the mental health department of a managed care facility and a doctor friend told me that a doctor's least favorite patient is a middle-aged woman in pain. I swear they just prescribe anti-depressants rather than try to figure out what is really wrong because they think if they were us they would be depressed!

This is a quote from Rebecca that I couldn't resist blogging on. (Hope you don't mind?) She and I exchanged some comments about the medical profession's enthusiasm for medicating women of a certain age. But when she posted this it dove-tailed perfectly with my own thoughts.

See, I just finished reading A Long Way Down. I am was Maureen. While Maureen was not actually the recipient of any druggery (because of course she was invisible) if anyone had noticed her I am sure they would have fallen all over themselves stuffing her pockets with pills of every color.

Here are the next four reasons, after Rebecca's theory, for drugging middle-aged women.

  1. No one wants to deal with erratic hormones.
  2. So they'll shut up and be quiet.
  3. Doctors actually have no people skills.
  4. Men are intimidated by tears.

Several years ago I found myself in conversation with the husband of an acquaintance. He had a PhD in pharmacology, then decided he would be happier in direct patient care. So he invested the significant years required to become a psychiatrist. You realize, of course, that means obtaining an MD and completing a residency. This man was committed to his goal.

At the time of our conversation he had set up his private practice. And was promptly disillusioned. The medical insurance reimbursement system did not compensate him for doing what psychiatrists are trained to do: listening to patients. They reimburse a limited dollar amount for a limited number of visits. So there he sat in his new office, writing scrips all day.

He probably could have saved the years of school and done it just as well from the trunk of his car.
y'think?

5 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a shock! I just clicked over to your blog to see what you were writing about and thought to myself, hmm, that first paragraph sounds familiar, then saw my own name...

Obviously, I agree with what you are saying here; so many folks aren't even bothering to see shrinks for these meds, though, who at least have psychiatric training, but are getting them from their G.P.s to avoid co-pays and maybe even the stigma of mental illness. I hear of family practice docs prescribing Prozac, Ritalin, and just about everything, and I wonder if they really know what they're doing. Some of that is probably also related to the pressure of managed care.

 
At 7/23/2006 5:23 PM , Blogger lazy cow said...

My mother - who's 77 - NEEDS to be prescribed anti-depressants.It probably should have happened 20 years ago. Her bloody local GP (who she has been seeing for years) just doesn't listen to her and can't see beyond the hypocondria. I'm hoping to get her to see a psychiatrist who will listen and help her. I hope that's not too much to ask.
It's great to have bloggers writing about things like this!

 
At 7/24/2006 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your mother gets the help she needs; my father finally started taking Prozac in his 60s and I can attest that the quality of his life (and my mother's) improved greatly.

It is certainly true that the mental health needs of older people are terribly neglected. But even the over-prescribing that is being done isn't really tailored to the specific needs of that particular individual, more to the needs of the doctor, I think, anyway.

 
At 7/31/2006 10:11 AM , Blogger Sarah Louise said...

I have been EXTREMELY fortunate in this department. I have had two psychiatrists who believed very much in listening to me and tweaking or not tweaking my medical cocktail (oh, the life of a bipolar...the multiple drugs...). There are great doctors out there. They are few and far between, yes, but my current psychiatrist is worth more than his weight in gold. Thanks for blogging about this. (We are only as sick as our secrets...)

 
At 8/02/2006 6:16 AM , Blogger BabelBabe said...

And a good therapist is worth their weight in gold. The medication helped, but Laura SAVED MY LIFE. By listening. And helping me think more clearly. And figuring out who I was, and who I wanted to be, and why.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home